Wednesday, June 17, 2009

About Work...

Today is one of those days, that I don't feel like working. I think it's because I don't like to be reprimanded, like I was today. What happened was that my neighbor who practically lives in my house was graduating today, she had mentioned her graduation several months ago, however, she told me the date and gave me a ticket last night! So I didn't know about her graduation date and time until late last night. I really care about this child and I had promised so I sent an e-mail to my boss and told him that I was going to a graduation in the morning and was going to be in the office by noon. (I usually come in at 10:30 so I though that it wouldn't be such a big deal) However my boss was not amused, he was upset, specially since last week I had a doctors appt and came in at 1pm, and the week before I had to take my daughter to the doctor and came in at 12pm. He said that he finds it really disappointing that work seems to come second for me. Well the truth is that Family and Health do come first for me and always will. But I didn't say that to his face... This got me thinking that since moving to this town, I have had 6 jobs in 10 years. This one I have now it's the one I've been at since 2005. And you want to know something? The last 5 jobs I lost them because I made my family a priority, and I wouldn't change anything about it.

I think about quitting all the time, that's the truth. My boss is an amazing boss, the truth is that he is the best boss I've had in my life, however that doesn't mean that I love my job...
My job is simply put, a means to an end, and that end is money. Does it bring me satisfaction? NO. Does it bring me joy? NO. So why do I stay? First of all, I get paid good enough, my job is pretty simple to do, my boss is very nice, I can dress in jeans and sneakers everyday if I want to. I'm alone all day in a computer (although I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing). It's simple, comfortable, and I get paid for it. That's it. I don't feel like going on a job search especially now when the unemployment rate is skyrocketing, and risking getting a job with a mean boss, or having to dress up in suits all day, or having to do overtime, or be at work by 8am! (I'm waking up at that time many days!) So it's comfortable, and I'm here...

What would I be doing otherwise? I would say something creative, something that would help children, and other people. I bought this book on how to find and develop your child's abilities. I would like to finish reading that book and create a workshop to give to parent's at my daughter's school. I would like to help my daughter do something creative that would help the environment or that with her creativity we could do something to raise funds for some charities. I would also do workshops about Highly Sensitive Children to teachers to help them to deal with children like my daughter. I don't know, I feel that my calling is helping people and helping my daughters achieve greatness in their unique way by helping them blossom into mature, healthy, happy, caring people, but all these things I'm talking about don't necessarily pay the bills like my job does, so I guess I'll stay here until I come up with something better...

No comments:

Post a Comment